Trademark Declaration of Use in the United StatesTrademark Declaration of Use
A Declaration of Use and a specimen of use must be submitted between the 5th and 6th year of registration, demonstrating the trademark as it is utilized in commerce
From $150 + govt fees from $100/class
An AI-powered IP assistant that helps you create a detailed assignment within minutes.
Selection of the most suitable local trademark attorney based on specific criteria.
Documents preparation and filing done by an attorney.
Online monitoring and reporting on the platform throughout the entire process.
More than 800 IP law firms from 150+ countries, ranking and reviews
An AI-powered IP assistant that helps create tasks and find relevant attorneys
Flat fees, secure and fast online payments with guaranteed results
24/7 access to the registration process and online data storage for all your cases
Get all necessary information about working on the iPNOTE platform
Understanding Trademark Declaration of Use for Registration in the USA
The Trademark Declaration of Use is a crucial step in the trademark registration process in the USA. Once a trademark application receives preliminary approval from the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), the trademark owner must submit a Declaration of Use to affirm that the mark is being used in commerce. In this comprehensive guide, we will delve into the significance of the Trademark Declaration of Use, the required steps for submission, and how it aids in securing your trademark registration.
What is a Trademark Declaration of Use?
A Trademark Declaration of Use is a formal statement submitted to the USPTO to confirm the actual use of the trademark in commerce. This declaration is essential for demonstrating that the mark is actively used for the goods or services specified in the trademark application.
The Importance of Filing a Declaration of Use
- Securing Registration: Filing the Trademark Declaration of Use is a prerequisite for completing the registration process. Without this declaration, the trademark application may be abandoned, and registration will not be granted.
- Affirming Active Use: The Declaration of Use serves as proof that the trademark is genuinely being used in the marketplace, ensuring that the registration process is not misused by dormant or inactive marks.
- Maintaining Integrity: Requiring a Declaration of Use helps maintain the integrity of the trademark registration system, preventing speculative or speculative applications.
Steps to File a Trademark Declaration of Use
- Receive the Notice of Allowance: After the USPTO examines the trademark application and finds it meets the registration requirements, a Notice of Allowance is issued. This notice informs the applicant that the mark is eligible for registration upon filing the Declaration of Use.
- Verify Dates of Use: Before filing the declaration, ensure that the dates of the first use in commerce are correctly documented. Accurate information is essential for demonstrating continuous and consistent use.
- Complete the Declaration Form: The Declaration of Use form provided by the USPTO must be completed with accurate information, including the mark details, registration number, class of goods or services, and the dates of first use.
- Submit Supporting Evidence: Along with the declaration, include specimens or samples showing the actual use of the mark in commerce. These specimens should reflect how the mark appears on the goods or in connection with the services.
- Pay the Required Fees: Timely payment of the specified fees is crucial to avoid delays or potential abandonment of the trademark registration.
Ensuring Continued Use of the Trademark
- Maintain Use in Commerce: After the trademark is registered, it is essential to continue using the mark in connection with the specified goods or services. Failure to maintain use may result in the cancellation of the registration.
- Monitor Renewal Deadlines: Trademark registrations require periodic renewals. Stay vigilant and comply with the renewal deadlines to keep your mark active and enforceable.
- Enforce Your Rights: With a registered trademark, you have the legal foundation to enforce your exclusive rights and take appropriate action against infringers.
The Trademark Declaration of Use is a critical step in securing your trademark registration in the USA. By promptly filing the declaration and maintaining active use of the mark, you can protect your brand's identity and enjoy the benefits of exclusive rights in the competitive marketplace. Comply with the USPTO's requirements, monitor renewal deadlines, and enforce your rights to ensure continued protection for your valuable trademark.
Why should you choose iPNOTE?
- Our services are 5 times cheaper than those of large law firms. The preparation of documents is 10 times easier than attempting to do it on your own.
- We provide a user-friendly public marketplace where you can explore service providers, leave feedback, and get in touch with their representatives. The system automatically generates invoices from the providers. iPNOTE provides the opportunity to collaborate with contractors while minimizing unnecessary intermediaries.
- With iPNOTE, you'll definitely find a suitable contractor. We guarantee at least one proposal within 48 hours, but usually, multiple options are available within a few hours.
- All service providers on the platform are verified. The certification process for intellectual property specialists is conducted manually, ensuring thorough verification rather than relying on automated systems.
- iPNOTE partners with lawyers from different countries, so you can find a contractor for trademark registration in any country.
How does trademark registration via iPNOTE work?
The majority of trademark-related tasks are standard in nature and can be completed by experienced professionals in just a few hours. To find your intellectual property lawyer through iPNOTE, you should:
- Fill out a short form to create an account on the platform.
- Create a task in the desired region. We operate in the United States and worldwide.
- Choose a contractor from the providers we recommend.
- Receive the completed documentation.
If you're not satisfied with the result, we will provide a refund. If you find the selected contractor unsuitable during the course of work, we'll offer a replacement.
Start protection with our AI Assistant right now!